Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My First Day At Chennai

Though I had applied for this course around 2 weeks ago, the confirmation came only at the last minute. By the time I was ready for reservation for the journey to Chennai, there was no seat available in any one of the trains, and any class. The main reason for the rush was that August 15 was a holiday and it was the last of the holidays. Finally had to use the Tatkal facility to get a seat in Shatabdi Express.

I caught the Shatabdi at 06 AM and reached Chennai Central by 1045 hours. The first thing I noticed on getting down at Chennai Central was the heat, in fact it looked like I was hit by a blast of hot air. The difference was more noticeable since I got out from air conditioned coach. It took a few minutes to get used to it. I came out of the railway station and looked back at the Chennai Central main building. I was seeing it after a gap of 24 years, and it still was in the same majestic state (the last I visited Chennai was way back in 1987, and then it was known as Madras Central). To be honest, there is not much of a difference between this photo taken in 1920 and the other one which is of recent times.












I crossed the main road in front of the station and reached Park suburban railway station. It took me another hour and a half to reach my destination at Tambaram, which is around 45 minutes journey from Park station. The first thing I noticed was that there was still a raw mango though it was already mid August. See yourself. India is such a vast country that you never stop getting amazed by the difference in climates, cultures, people, their eating habits etc.





No comments:

Post a Comment